Must Visit in Your Lifetime “Mawsynram” Most Wettest or Highest Average Annual Rainfall Place on Earth Even Than Cherrapunji
Mawsynram is a village in the East Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya state in northeastern India, 65 kilometres from Shillong. Mawsynram receives the highest rainfall in India. It is reportedly the wettest place on Earth, with an average annual rainfall of 1,872 mm. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Mawsynram received 26,000 mm of rainfall in 1985.
How to Reach
By Air- Shillong airport is the nearest airport to Mawsynram located at a distance of 89 kms.
By Train- The nearest station is Guwahati railway station, approx. 150 kms. It will take 4 hrs 30 min to reach from railway station to mawsynram.
By Road- Mawsynram is 60 kms from Shillong and you will hire taxi from Shillong to reach here, which takes nearly 2 hrs.
Weather of MawsynramAverage monthly temperatures range from around 11 °C in January to just above 20 °C in August
Did You Know ?
- Cherrapunji is considered to be the most wettest place on the earth but from few decades the Mawssynram recorded as the Most Wettest or Highest Average Annual Rainfall Place on Earth even than Cherrapunji.
- Mawsynram is located at 25° 18′ N, 91° 35′ E, at an altitude of about 1,400 metres (4,600 ft), 15 km west of Cherrapunji, in the Khasi Hills in the state of Meghalaya (India). The name of the village contains Maw, a Khasi word meaning stone.
- Mawsynram is considered to be the heaven paradise for the tourist. Once you will visit the Mawsynram, you will get to know its beauty and lush green surroundings. Some popular places of Mawsynram -:
- Mawsmai Caves- These Caves are amongst the longest caves in the world. Of the ten longest and deepest caves in India. The cave is so beautiful that mesmerize you during sunlight when sun rays scattered through limestone inside caves and create various patterns. Their is also some creatures inside the caves, which grab your attention.
- Khreng Khreng Fall- Most beautiful & adventures place of mawsynram. This place is good for hiking lovers and for kids.
- Khreng Khreng Viewpoint- This place is one of the best viewpoint of Mawsynram and ideal place for photographers. You can also view most famous hill Iawpaw and Umngi river