Trek To The Mata Vaishno Devi – A Travellers Guide
“Jai Mata Di”
Shri Mata Vaishno Devi is a Temple located on the Trikuta Hills at an altitude of 5200 meter in Katra, Jammu. Trek to the Mata Vaishno Devi is the holiest journey with complete package of thrill, adventure and natural paradise. Every year millions of devotees come hear from all over the world.
How to Reach Katra
By Air- Jammu Airport is the nearest airport to katra(within 50 kms). You can hire taxi or take a bus to reach here which takes approx. 1.5 to 2 hrs.
By Train- Katra Railway station is well connected with all major Indian Railway Stations.
By Road- Katra is easily accessible through road from Jammu.
Mata Vaishno Devi Bhawan TemperatureIn Winter varies from -2 to 13 & In Summer from 15 to 30 degree C
Best Time to VisitOpen throughout the year but March to October is the best time
Journey from Katra to Mata Vaishno Devi Bhawan
- The beautiful and enchanting journey starts from katra which is 14 kms from Mata Vaishno Devi Bhawan. Their is two route from katra to reach Bhawan, one is from banganga also called old route and another route is Tarakote Marg also known as new route.
- All devotees have to do their registration, before trek starts and should carry this registration slip or Yatra slip (Yatra Parchi) throughout its journey.
- The old route is made of loose sand stones and also it is long and more steeper. But you can hire horses or ponies to reach bhawan. This route goes from Banganga to Ardha Kuwari to Bhairav Ghati to Bhawan.
- The new route or Tarakote marg is well constructed and mostly covered with shelters. Their is facilities of canteen, toilets and drinking water on different stretches. But their is no facility of horses or ponies and one have to travel distance on bare foot. This route goes from Ardha Kuwari to Bhawan and then Bhairav Ghati.
- It requires 11-14 hrs to complete Journey on bare foot.
- It is belief that your journey will be incomplete if you do not pay a visit at Bhairav Ghati Temple.
- You can reach Bhairav Ghati from Bhawan and vice versa using Rope Way.
Tips & Key Highlights
- It is recommended for Devotees/traveler to book battery car in advance from https://www.maavaishnodevi.org.
- As the trek is steep, required stamina and strength, so it is good to carry some energy drinks and fruits.
- Their is also a facility of accommodation at Bhawan, Katra and at Ardha Kuwari. But it is good to book rooms in advance at https://www.maavaishnodevi.org.
- If you are good in strength and having good stamina then you can complete the full journey on one go without having the accommodation at Bhawan, but it it is good practice that you relax at katra after your journey.
- Yatra Parchi can be booked online at https://www.maavaishnodevi.org.
Ride a HelicopterNow their is also a facility of helicopter for devotees, which is available from Katra to Sanjichhat and vice versa.
Helicopter Fare- one way fare from Katra to Sanjichhat or Sanjichhat to Katra (Fare Rs.1045/- ) per passenger and Katra-Sanjichhat-Katra (Fare Rs.2090/-) per passenger.
- It is required to pre book the helicopter from https://www.maavaishnodevi.org.
Shopping at Katra
Katra is the winter city of Jammu, shop here for famous woolen clothes, dry fruits and winter clothes at reasonable prices and in best quality.